When the BMW 328i was released in 1996, it took the US and other countries by storm and became nearly as renowned as the M3. Whether you have a BMW 328i that could sport QQ tags or you bought a newer model, you are probably wondering, “What is the recommended oil type for a BMW 328i?” The correct answer to that question is: it depends on the model year and engine type in your BMW 328i. Most of the time, however, you will use 0W-20, 0W-30, or 5W-30.
**Note** – A quick hello to anyone reading this, I’m Alastair and this is my site Synthetic oil.me. I started this site to help people with their oil questions, and hopefully what you’re about to read will help answer your questions. This page may include affiliate links to the likes of Amazon, which if you make a purchase I qualify to earn a (typically small) commission. Don’t worry as this won’t cost you anything, the likes of Amazon pay any commissions. Thank you in advance for your support as this helps bring you more (hopefully) helpful content.
What is the Correct BMW 328i Oil Type?
When choosing the correct BMW 328i oil type, it is best to consult the owner’s manual. You will find the recommended oil type in the book. Another thing to consider is BMW Longlife-01 specifications, as some oil brands do not meet those standards.
The BMW Longlife-01 specification includes requirements for oil viscosity, stability, shear resistance, evaporation loss, and low-temperature flow. These specifications ensure that the engine oil provides the necessary protection against wear and deposits, while also providing fuel efficiency and emissions reduction.
With that in mind, here are the correct types of oil for a BMW 328i:
- M52 engine: For the 1996-1999 model, you should use 5W-30 engine oil.
- M54 engine: For BMW 328i produced between 2000-2006, use 5W-30 engine oil.
- N52 engine: For the 2007-2013 BMW 328i, the manufacturer recommends using synthetic 5W-30 engine oil.
- N20 engine: For the 2012-2015 BMW 328i with the N20 engine, synthetic 0W-20 engine oil is recommended, but you can also use 5W-30 oil.
- N26 engine: For the 2012-2015 BMW 328i, 0W-30 and 5W-30 are recommended.
For many years, BMW 328i cars came fresh from the factory with SAE 5W-30 oil in the engine, but the company recently switched over to 0W-20/30 to increase fuel efficiency.
That being said, whether you choose 0W-20/30 or 5W-30, your BMW 328i will perform excellently. Make sure you choose a high-performance synthetic oil. Once your car reaches 75,000 miles, be sure to switch over to a high-mileage formula to keep the engine going strong.
Should You Use Synthetic Oil for a BMW 328i?
Yes, you can and should use synthetic oil in your BMW 328i. BMW Longlife-01 oils are typically synthetic oils that have been specially formulated to meet these specifications. It is important to use engine oils that meet BMW Longlife-01 specifications for BMW vehicles to ensure that the engine is properly lubricated and protected.
Synthetic oil is recommended for any kind of gasoline-powered vehicle because it offers several benefits over conventional oil. Here are some reasons why you should use synthetic oil in your BMW 328i:
- Better performance: Synthetic oil provides better performance and protection in extreme temperatures and high-stress situations, which is essential for high-performance engines like those found in BMW 328i.
- Improved fuel efficiency: Synthetic oil can help improve fuel efficiency, as it has lower friction than conventional oil. This means that your BMW 328i engine will run more efficiently and use less fuel.
- Longer lifespan: Synthetic oil lasts longer than conventional oil, which means you can go further between oil changes
How Much Oil Does a BMW 328i Need?
Your BMW 328i comes equipped with a four-cylinder turbocharged engine with an engine oil capacity of 5.3 quarts. Some models, such as the BMW 328i with an N52 engine have a slightly greater engine oil capacity—around 6.5 quarts. How much oil your car needs will vary slightly, depending on the model year and where the vehicle was produced. Be sure to consult the owner’s manual of your vehicle to ensure you are putting in the correct amount.
Final Thoughts on Oil for a BMW 328i
All in all, the iconic BMW 328i takes various oil types, from 0W-30 to 5W-30. When in doubt, 5W-30 goes into the older models, though newer ones will typically use 0W-30. Be sure to check with the owner’s manual or the dealership if you are still unsure. And remember to change the oil regularly to keep the engine running smoothly!