Over 2 million international DT466 engines were produced between 1971 and 2016 and were placed in everything from school buses to trucks and tractors. Though it has undergone some design changes during those 45 years, it goes without saying the DT466 has experienced widespread popularity. Known for being an invincible model, the DT466 requires a little maintenance to keep running well. If you are looking to perform an oil change on a DT466 diesel engine, then you are going to need to know the international DT466 oil capacity.
**Note** – A quick hello to anyone reading this, I’m Alastair and this is my site Synthetic oil.me. I started this site to help people with their oil questions, and hopefully what you’re about to read will help answer your questions. This page may include affiliate links to the likes of Amazon, which if you make a purchase I qualify to earn a (typically small) commission. Don’t worry as this won’t cost you anything, the likes of Amazon pay any commissions. Thank you in advance for your support as this helps bring you more (hopefully) helpful content.
What is the International DT466?
Let’s briefly talk about the DT466 diesel engine. The more you know about it, the more prepared you will be when it is time to do the oil change. The DT466 is a 6-cylinder inline diesel engine that utilizes what is known as a “wet-sleeve” design. In other words, the cylinder walls will always be in contact with the engine coolant. This improves the overall efficiency of the engine, but it does also increase the need for maintenance. That said, the wet-sleeve design is said to improve the durability of the engine since the walls of the engine are harder and more uniform than those in a conventionally cooled diesel engine.
What is the International DT466 Oil Capacity?
Depending on the model of your DT466, it will hold either 28 or 30 liters of engine oil. The recommended service interval is 13,000 miles for a 28L model and 15,000 miles for a 30L engine. According to International, the DT466 should also require an oil filter change every 500 hours of operation for the 28L. If you have the 30L, that is boosted to 550 hours.
How Do You Change the Oil of a DT466?
The oil change is roughly the same regardless of which model you have. You will need the following tools and parts:
- 30-31.5 quarts of 15W40 engine oil
- Wix 51799 or equivalent engine oil filter
- Oil filter wrench
- 30 quart drain pan
- 15/16” ratchet and socket
- Clean rag
Directions for Changing DT466 Oil
Once you have everything on hand, you will want to turn on the vehicle briefly, allowing the engine to heat up slightly. This lets the oil circulate and debris will be suspended in the oil, plus it flows more quickly from the drain plug. After that, follow these steps:
- Take the 15/16” socket and ratchet to open the oil drain plug, allowing the old oil to go into the drain pan. (Check out some tips for removing a stuck oil drain plug.)
- Use the oil filter wrench to remove the current oil filter.
- Tidy up the drain plug and other surfaces with a clean rag.
- Slightly fill the new oil filter with fresh motor oil, preparing it for use.
- Reinstall the oil filter.
- Once all the dirty oil is in the drain pan, reinstall the drain plug and tighten it up.
- Fill the engine with 28-30 quarts of engine oil.
- Start the engine, letting the oil circulate for a time. During this period, observe the engine and check for operational abnormalities. Once everything has been inspected, shut the engine down.
- Wait for 5-10 minutes
- Recheck the oil level, topping off if necessary.
Now you know the International DT466 oil capacity and oil change method. Swapping out old oil for fresh is much like doing it in a car or SUV. Take your time, follow the steps, and be sure to dispose of the old oil the proper way. After that, you are good to go!