Doing an oil change on your Honda Accord is an excellent way to reduce some maintenance costs while keeping your car’s engine clean and lubricated. If you have just completed an oil change, do not forget to reset the oil life light. Otherwise, you may be startled when it turns on while zooming down the highway! Here are the steps required for resetting the oil light in every model of the Honda Accord from 1982 to the present day.
**Note** – A quick hello to anyone reading this, I’m Alastair and this is my site Synthetic oil.me. I started this site to help people with their oil questions, and hopefully what you’re about to read will help answer your questions. This page may include affiliate links to the likes of Amazon, which if you make a purchase I qualify to earn a (typically small) commission. Don’t worry as this won’t cost you anything, the likes of Amazon pay any commissions. Thank you in advance for your support as this helps bring you more (hopefully) helpful content.
How to Reset the Oil Light on 1982-1999 Models
Turning off the oil light in older models is relatively straightforward because there is less technology involved. Here are the steps to follow:
- Turn the ignition towards the OFF position.
- Locate the Select and Reset switches on either the steering column or dashboard. Press and hold them at the same time.
- Continue holding the Select and Reset switches while turning the ignition to RUN. Do not start your car.
- Keep pressing Select and Reset for another 10 seconds. The Maintenance Required indicator should turn off.
Resetting the Oil Light on 2002-2012 Honda Accords
In these models, you will see an engine oil life percentage. Around the time the oil life reaches 5%, a light stating “SERVICE” will glow. To turn it off:
- Turn the ignition key to the “on” position without starting the engine.
- Press and release the “Select/Reset” button on the dashboard until the oil life indicator appears on the display.
- Press and hold the “Select/Reset” button until the oil life indicator starts to blink.
- Release the “Select/Reset” button and then immediately press and hold it again for at least 10 seconds.
- Release the “Select/Reset” button when the oil life indicator resets to 100%.
2013-2016 Honda Accord Oil Light Reset
Similar to resetting a 2010-2012 Honda Accord engine oil life light, here are the steps to take:
Info Display Method
- Turn the ignition to the ON position, but do not start the engine.
- Looking at the dashboard, press “Select” and toggle the settings to “Engine Oil Life.”
- Press the Select knob down for about 10 seconds. The display will blink.
- Release the knob then press it again for 5 seconds.
- The engine oil life display should reset to 100%.
Multi-Info Display Method
- Turn the ignition to ON but do not start your Honda Accord.
- Look at Info (Up/Down). Use the Select/Reset buttons to find “Vehicle Settings.”
- Scroll until you find “Maintenance Reset.” Select it.
- Select “Reset.”
- Your engine oil life light will now turn off.
You can also check out this video:
How to Reset the Oil Light on 2017 and Newer Honda Accords
On the newer models of a Honda Accord, you have two options for resetting the oil light:
Steering Wheel Control Method
- Insert the key and turn the ignition to ON, switching on the electronics but not starting the engine.
- On the steering wheel, press the HOME button.
- Scroll through the options until you get to “Maintenance”. Select it.
- Find the “Oil Life” option. Select and then hold the button.
- If you wish to reset only the Engine Oil Life light, select “Item A Only.” If you wish to do the same for all sensors, select “All Due Items.”
- Press then release the wheel/button. The oil Light should now read 100%.
Touch Screen Method
You may find that it is easier to do the same thing using the touch screen in newer models:
- On the screen, select Home.
- Go to Settings.
- Click “Vehicle,” then “Maintenance Info.”
- Click “Select Reset Items.”
- There will be an option for “Oil & Filter.” Select it and then choose “Reset.”
- Your engine oil life light is now at 100%.
Final Thoughts on Ways to Reset the Honda Accord Oil Light
Now you know how to reset the engine oil life light in your Honda Accord, regardless of the model. Depending on the model, the methods change slightly, but the end result is the same. Remember to regularly check the oil in your Honda Accord and to change the oil every 5,000-7,500 miles to keep the engine going strong for many more years.
Why is My Oil Light Flashing?
Wondering, “Why is my oil light flashing?” You have come to the right place. Here is what you need to know about your vehicle’s oil light.
Why is My Car Leaking Oil When Parked?
Why is my car leaking oil when parked? Oil leaks are a common problem that can be caused by a variety of things.
What is the Recommended Oil Type for a BMW 328i?
What is the recommended oil type for a BMW 328i? The correct answer to that question is: it depends on the model year and engine type.
What are the Symptoms of Putting the Wrong Oil in Your Car?
Using the wrong type of oil in your car can have serious consequences for your engine's health and performance.
Do You Check The Oil With The Car Running?
There are a couple of reasons why checking or changing the oil when the car is running is a bad idea, the main is inaccurate readings.